SFS Coordinator ICDA
This thread got the most clicks in our most recent newsletter – do you have suggestions for members on how to address protein sustainably?
As a vegetarian, I find that people don’t know that there are a wide variety of proteins sources for me. I’m constantly sharing with restaurant staff and people I eat with that I get protein from:
- Vegetables like dark leafy greens
- Fats like avocado and oilseeds from pumpkins, sesame and a slew of others
- Legumes & nuts – there are so many different interesting types!
- And I eat a lot of dairy, especially plain yogurt, and a few eggs
- And that is only scratching the surface for each of these groups!
For non-vegetarians there is also a LOT more out there than what is on menus and in restaurants. Since I’ve lived in multiple cultures I’ve gotten to learn about all sorts of delicious insects, sea flora and fauna, birds, wild game, rodents – and more that are delicacies in many cultures.
We are LITERALLY RICH but we are WASTING so many of our resources as our knowledge and skills erode.
Biodiversity is healthy for our planet and all its creatures, including us.