- The problem with growing corporate concentration and power in the global food system 14 Oct 2021
- The public health rationale for promoting plant protein as an important part of a sustainable and healthy diet 14 Oct 2021
- Multi-criteria evaluation of plant-based foods – use of environmental footprint and LCA data for consumer guidance 14 Oct 2021
- Empowering Nutrition Professionals to Advance Sustainable Food Systems: 8 Essential Strategies to Accelerate Change 03 Oct 2021
- Introducing Food + Planet’s White Paper: Empowering Nutrition Professionals to Advance Sustainable Food Systems 03 Sep 2021
- Plant-Based Meat and Dairy Substitutes as Appropriate Alternatives to Animal-Based Products? 28 Jul 2021
- Consumption of Ultra-Processed Foods by Pesco-Vegetarians, Vegetarians, and Vegans: Associations with Duration and Age at Diet Initiation 28 Jul 2021
- A Path From Sustainable Nutrition to Nutritional Sustainability of Complex Food Systems 26 Jul 2021
- A 20-year retrospective review of global aquaculture 22 Jul 2021
- The Role of Healthy Diets in Environmentally Sustainable Food Systems 22 Jul 2021
- Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems 22 Jul 2021
- Grazed and Confused 13 Jul 2021
- WWF Consumer Meat Guides for the Baltic Region 04 Jul 2021
- Sustainable food choices: Key lessons from Quality Schemes, Public Procurement and Short Supply Chains (MOOC) 21 Jun 2021
- Millets prove tasty solution to climate and food security challenges 21 Jun 2021
- Healthy diets can create environmental trade-offs, depending on how diet quality is measured 16 Jun 2021
- Sustainable diet policy development: implications of multi-criteria and other approaches, 2008–2017 16 Jun 2021
- Sustainable Diets: We know what they are, so why aren’t we consuming them? 15 Jun 2021
- Views of health professionals on climate change and health: a multinational survey study 15 Jun 2021
- Voices: Stories about Practice in Sustainable Nutrition 26 Apr 2021
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter, GROW, to view past issues and receive updates on new content added to the ICDA-SFS Toolkit.
Welcome to ICDA’s Sustainable Food Systems (SFS) Toolkit! This web-based toolkit supports nutritionist and dietetic professionals, in ICDA member associations, to integrate sustainability into practice.
Why nutrition and dietetics professionals?
Nutrition and dietetics professionals around the world work with food at various stages of food systems—from product development to procurement through to consumption. In these roles, you have a unique opportunity to influence these systems to be more sustainable as well as nutritious. While scholars of many disciplines grapple with what must be done to create sustainable food systems, you can take these understandings of the what and apply it to the how…and be a part of making it happen!
What’s in this Toolkit?
This toolkit is a collection of existing resources, case studies, infographics, learning modules, community discussion forums, inspirational stories and more to help support sustainability in dietetics. We have taken existing content and curated a collection to support your learning needs. In some cases, we have designed pieces just for you. The toolkit is intended to help you understand sustainable food systems, identify your knowledge gaps, deepen your knowledge in particular areas, understand the relevance to nutrition and dietetics, access tools for putting this knowledge into practice, and help you share challenges and successes with colleagues to inspire and support others.
In this section you will find information regarding our team, vision, objectives, and guiding principles for this toolkit. You will also find a brief background and introduction about sustainable food systems.
In this section you will find resources, activities, tools, and case studies that help you to learn more about sustainable food theory, concepts and applications. Search and download resources on topics you want to learn more about, and tools to support sustainability into your own practice.
Community of Practice
In this section you will find examples of first-hand experiences in nutrition and sustainability around the world, as well as the opportunity to connect, discuss, and interact with Dietitians-Nutritionists from a variety of background, roles, and geographic locations.
In this section you will find more formal, structured learning opportunities such as learning modules, webinars and workshops, and sustainability courses. We have also designed a sustainability self-assessment that allows you to discover what, specifically, you would like to learn about nutrition and sustainability.
How to use this Toolkit
You can use this toolkit however you would like. However, we suggest one of two ways.
1. Structured Flow
- Take the Sustainability Self-Assessment which will recommend a learning module and resources.
- Work through the Learning Module suggested.
- Explore the suggested resources that are most relevant to you.
- Participate in the Community of Practice. Read others’ questions and stories, share your own.
- Keep up to date and deepen your learning through webinars, workshops and courses.