Subscribe to the SFS Toolkit’s monthly updates: GROW
- How to Effectively Encourage Sustainable Food Choices: A Mini-Review of Available Evidence (2022 Nov) 03 Feb 2023
- Agriculture, Nutrition & Health Academy Week (2023 Jun 19-30) 03 Feb 2023
- 📣 Call for Interest: Global 🌍 Networking Event on #SustainableFoodSystems in #Nutrition & #Dietetics Education (2023 Jun) 03 Feb 2023
- Sessions in Sustainable Food Systems at the Science, Technology and Society (STS) Conference Graz (2023 May 8-10) 02 Feb 2023
- The role of Nordic research in transition to sustainable agro-marine food systems (2023 Jan 24) 30 Jan 2023
- Eastern Africa Agroecology Conference Transforming Food Systems for Responsible Production, Consumption, and Social Wellbeing (2023 Mar 21-24) 27 Jan 2023
- Food Systems Transformation: A Worldwide Response to Multiple Crises (2023 Jan 18-21) 26 Jan 2023
- Oxford Real Farming Conference (2023 Jan 4-6) 26 Jan 2023
- Guide to a healthy and low-cost diet for families with children (2020)(Spanish) 14 Jan 2023
- Catalan Food Based Dietary Guideline (2020)(Catalan) 13 Jan 2023
- Case Study: SFS in Dietetic Education – Join us! (2020) 03 Jan 2023
- Changing behaviour to help more people waste less food: a guide (2022 Aug) 13 Dec 2022
- ReFED (website) 13 Dec 2022
- Impacto ecológico de la alimentación en España (2022) 11 Dec 2022
- A Global Analysis of National Dietary Guidelines on Plant-Based Diets and Substitutions for Animal-Based Foods (2022 Nov) 08 Dec 2022
- ‘It’s a constant changing environment, and we’re just playing catch up’: Hospital food services, food waste, and COVID-19 (2022 Jun) 02 Dec 2022
- Taking a Food Systems Approach to Policymaking: A Resource for Policymakers 02 Dec 2022
- Delivering community benefit: Healthy food playbook (tool) 02 Dec 2022
- EFAD’s Kompass Nutrition & Dietetics journal (2022 Nov) 02 Dec 2022
- StratKIT Platform – Sustainable public procurement and catering network & Sustainable Public Meal Toolkit (website) 01 Dec 2022
- Healthy Food in Health Care Pledge (Tool) 01 Dec 2022
- Mapping the planet’s critical natural assets – for Nature’s Contributions to People (NCPs) (2022 Nov) 30 Nov 2022
- Grains of Truth 2: EAT – GlobeScan global consumer research on a sustainable food system (2022 Nov) 18 Nov 2022
- Health and environmental impacts of plant-rich dietary patterns: a US prospective cohort study (2022 Nov) 18 Nov 2022
- Development of an EAT-Lancet index and its relation to mortality in a Swedish population (2021 Nov) 11 Nov 2022
- Exploring young Australians’ understanding of sustainable and healthy diets: A qualitative study (2022 Jul) 11 Nov 2022
- Small Producers Organization (SPP)(Website) 07 Nov 2022
- UN-Nutrition Strategy 2022–2030 04 Nov 2022
- Sustainable Institutional Food Procurement Insights, lessons, and recommendations from a Churchill Fellowship (2022) 11 Oct 2022
Nutrition and Dietetics & Sustainable Food Systems
Nutrition and dietetics professionals around the world work with food at various stages of food systems—from production to product development to procurement through to consumption. In these roles, you have a unique opportunity to influence these systems to be more sustainable, as well as nutritious. While scholars of many disciplines grapple with what must be done to create sustainable food systems, you can take these understandings of the what and apply it to the how … and be a part of making it happen!
What’s in this Toolkit?
This toolkit is a collection of existing resources, case studies, infographics, learning modules, community discussion forums, inspirational stories and more to help support sustainability in dietetics. We have taken existing content and curated a collection to support your learning needs. In some cases, we have designed pieces just for you.
The toolkit is intended to help you understand sustainable food systems, identify your knowledge gaps, deepen your knowledge in particular areas, understand the relevance to nutrition and dietetics, access tools for putting this knowledge into practice, and help you share challenges and successes with colleagues to inspire and support others.
- Home – this page provides recent updates to the toolkit and information:
- Learning Modules
- Here you will find more formal, structured learning opportunities. We have also designed a sustainability self-assessment that allows you to discover what, specifically, you would like to learn about nutrition and sustainability.
- Documents and other materials, activities, tools, and case studies that help you to learn more about sustainable food theory, concepts and applications. Search and download resources on topics you want to learn more about, and tools to support sustainability into your own practice.
- Community of Practice (COP)
- Examples of first-hand experiences in nutrition and sustainability around the world, as well as the opportunity to connect, discuss, and interact with Dietitians-Nutritionists from a variety of background, roles, and geographic locations.
How to use this Toolkit
You can use this toolkit however you would like. However, we suggest one of two ways:
1 – Structured Flow
- Learning Modules: Take the Sustainability Self-Assessment which will recommend a learning module and resources. Work through the Learning Module suggested.
- Resources: Explore the resources that are most relevant to you. Keep up-to-date and deepen your learning through podcasts, webinars, and workshops.
2 – Free Flow
- Browse resources by relevance to your practice or challenges. Use the filters. Refer to the glossary as needed.
- Connect with colleagues by reading the discussion forum and stories they’ve shared – and share your own!
- If you are interested in learning more, check out the Learning Modules section.
Feedback? Questions? Ideas? Contact the ICDA SFS Coordinator: ICDAsfs.firstname.lastname@example.org